Toggle menu

Wheelie bins

Latest updates on rollout of wheelie bins for refuse in Lewes district

Houses in multiple occupancy

A house in multiple occupation (HMO) is a property occupied by more than one household. Properties that are occupied by five or more, regardless of the number of storeys, must have a licence.

Go to the National HMO network website for a more detailed explanation of the types of HMOs under the Housing Act 2004.

HMO standards

HMOs must provide certain facilities for use by the tenants. You can download specific requirements in the Prescribed standards for Houses in Multiple Occupation documents for your council below.

Fire Safety guidance is provided on We work alongside our colleagues at East Sussex Fire and Rescue to ensure compliance in all areas. Please contact us if you require further advice.

HMOs also have legal standards for the management and maintenance. These are set out in the HMO Management Regulations:

HMO Tenants - tell us about a problem

If you live in an HMO and are concerned about the standards, or your landlord is not undertaking repairs you can report this to us for investigation.

Check if a property is licensed

You can check if a property is licensed by downloading the HMO register for the appropriate council below.

How to apply for or renew an HMO licence

Please select the council that you wish to apply to below.

The landlord of an HMO will need to apply for a licence if the HMO property meets all of the following criteria; 

  • has five or more occupants, regardless of the number of storeys
  • with some sharing of facilities

It is an offence to fail to license an HMO, and the landlord can be prosecuted. You can check if a property has a licence by choosing the correct council below and checking the HMO register. If you are aware of an HMO operating without a licence you can report this to us, and we will investigate.

Students and host families

Licensing also applies to host families that have four or more students in a property, regardless of the number of storeys, for 90 or more days in any year.

If your property has three or more students for less than 90 days in any year, it may still be categorised as an HMO though it will not require a licence.

Houses in multiple occupancy in Lewes district

You can apply for an HMO licence for a property in the Lewes district by downloading and completing the appropriate form below. You should return it along with the associated documentation as indicated within the form.

For further details or advice please contact us.

Houses in multiple occupancy in Eastbourne

If you are a landlord of an HMO (House in Multiple Occupation) in Eastbourne you can apply for or renew your HMO licence online or by downloading the forms before and returning along with the relevant documentation.

Use our online form to apply for a new HMO licence to Eastbourne Borough Council.

Start now

Use our online form to apply for a renew an existing HMO licence to Eastbourne Borough Council

Start now

If you are a landlord and would like advice on HMO licensing, use our online form.

Start now