Toggle menu

Benefits and grants

Apply for benefits and grants in the Lewes district and Eastbourne

This page covers services for both councils. If you have chosen to access information from your own council only, selecting one of the services below will take you to information for that council.

How to claim Housing Benefit or Council Tax Reduction

Advice, guidance and application form for how to claim Housing benefit or Council Tax reduction

Universal Credit

Find out how to claim Universal Credit

How much am I entitled to?

Use our online calculators how much Universal credit, housing benefit and help with council tax payments you are eligible for.

Help with money and debt

There are many organisations that can offer help if you have problems with money or debt

What to do if a benefits decision is wrong or if benefit is overpaid?

Find out what to do if a benefits decision is wrong or if benefit is overpaid.

Local Housing Allowance Rates

Current local housing allowance rates for Eastbourne borough and Lewes district

Local Housing Allowance guidance

An overview of LHA rules including how many bedrooms, under 35 rules, Joint tenant, shared Accommodation, how we pay, paying landlords and changing from old style

Changes in circumstances

An explanation of changes in circumstances and by when you should report them

Guidance for self-employment and applying for benefits

A description of how we deal with self employed claims, including allowable expenses


An overview of non-dependants, including when a deduction is made, when no deduction is made and current deduction amounts

Housing benefit overpayments

An overview of housing benefit overpayments and how to repay

Discretionary housing payments

Discretionary Housing Payments (DHP) - Short term help with your rent shortfall, or with your arrears

Benefit cap and recent welfare changes

Overview of benefit cap, overview of changes to family premium, temporary absence, backdating and self employment

Other benefits and help

An description of Welfare benefits project, Discretionary East Sussex Support Scheme (DESSS) and paying Council Tax

Household Support Fund

If you're find it difficult to keep warm, buy enough food or pay essential bills, you may be able to get extra help.

Backdating claims

How to ask for a Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Benefit claim to be backdated

We are upgrading our revenues and benefits system

From Tuesday 17 October we will be moving to an improved revenues and benefits system.

Share this page

Facebook icon Twitter icon email icon


print icon