Our Direct Debit reference numbers are changing
Due to a system upgrade, Direct Debit reference numbers starting with '01' will be changing.
We are currently upgrading our revenues and benefits system.
If you currently pay your Council Tax by Direct Debit your account details will be transferred over to this new system.
If the Direct Debit reference number that we use when collecting your Direct Debit starts with '01', this reference number will be changing. The new reference number will appear on your system.
Your new reference number will be the same as your Council Tax account number which appears on your bill.
We expect the change to take place in December 2023.
You do not need to take any action to continue paying by Direct Debit. There is no need for you to complete a new Direct Debit form.
The change will not affect the services you receive in any way or change the way in which we will collect Direct Debits.
Details of the change will be supplied directly to your bank who may also notify you independently. Additionally, you may also see a comment on your bank statement advising you of the first payment under the new reference.
You will continue to receive the benefits of the Direct Debit Guarantee, as detailed below.
The Direct Debit Guarantee
- The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits.
- If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you 10 working days in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request.
- If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society.
- If you receive a refund you are not entitled to, you must pay it back when the organisation asks you to.
- You can cancel a Direct Debit at any time by simply contacting your bank or building society. Written confirmation may be required. Please also notify the organisation.